Hubris & Hubbub

This is what happens when I am working.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY



Before sitting down to watch this again, I told Tracey to "get ready for a cinematic EXPERIENCE!!!" She asked what made it an EXPERIENCE!!! and I told her that it had to do with the fact that there are "themes" and "philosophies" in the film that would just about blow her mind and please sit down and stop doing laundry. To which she replied "2001: A Nap Odyssey". har har.
I guess I never paid attention to the 3-5 minute black screen in the beginning of the film. You hear an orchestrated bit of weirdness that is audible but not too audible. This made me turn the volume up. I was all waxing like I had a pair and told Tracey that "this is symbolic ... it's all 'in the beginning there was nothing' kind of thing". I don't think she buys my thoughts on "symbology" sometimes.
Ok, so I'm lying on the couch and just kind of getting into the 2001 thing while she's cleaning up and walking around and not enjoying the film when Mike Graves calls and is telling me that there is an Ali G marathon on HBO right now and I should watch it and yadda yadda.
I turned off the movie and watched some Ali G all cold cracking on some wrinkly geriatrics. Anyway, I ended up watching 2001 a couple days later with some beers and Tracey on the couch. I love this movie. It is awesome. I think I said "this is badass because there is no CGI" like 28 times.

I GIVE 2001 A NETFLIX RATING OF 5 STARS IT IS AN AMAZING ACHIEVEMENT AND MANKIND SHOULD BE GREATFUL TO STANLEY KUBRICK

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my cinematic "EXPERIENCE," I actually sat down to watch the 3-5 minutes of black screen - the one that Luke called "symbolic." It was immediately followed by the MGM Lion roar. I thought it was definately a symbol for something.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched 2001 A Space Odyssey in the theaters when it first came out - in Cinerama. It was awesome then as it still is now. There were philosophical discussions among my friends far into the night about the meaning of the film and the obilisk/apes, Hal and the baby in space. The symbolism is constant in the film and the fact that it has remained so for all these years is a tribute to a great filmmaker. I am the Momala.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A BUTTFLIX RATING OF 8 FARTS.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home