Hubris & Hubbub

This is what happens when I am working.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Sun Also Rises


Well, I finally finished this and I will have to say that it was pretty ok. I finally understand why people think he is a great writer. What really got me was the "fill in the gaps" style he has. Conversations aren't fully flushed and this leaves you to put in your own idea of what is said in the pauses. In fact, he does this throughout most of the book regardless if it be a moment of dialogue or not. In that way, he is a brilliant writer. The subject matter was ok. His love for Spanish culture shown through and that was neat. As far as a generational novel, it was pretty good. Someone had said (I can't remember who it was) to Hemingway that their generation's (that of Hemingway's preceder) time had gone, it's sun had set. In a moment, his book was probably already written.
I think reading an older, used trade paperback copy of the book kind of romanticized it a little more than normal but that's how I like it. At any rate, I'm not and haven't ever really been the biggest fan of Hemingway. I thought I would give his work another shot now that I am a bit older and yes, I do think I get it now. Does it make me a die hard? Not really, but I am understanding the fascination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home